Thursday, 10 March 2011

Parachute System

I realised i have never explained or run through the workings of our Parachute Deploy System so here it is. :) Also in the Video I forgot to mention using the transmiter and reciver allows for expantion of up to 3 servos to do more.

Regards Doug

Tuesday, 8 March 2011

Splice Pressure Test

Today the asymmetrical splice was tested :)

The setup is as follows, splice and supply line full of water and the splice submerged, air supply is the mains powered home compressor. I used the test as a chance to test the mini compressor too.

The above pictures show the point of failure after the tape was split at 185psi

Things i taking away from this test are:
  • The Mini Compressor is garbage above 50psi and took 10 minutes to get there ... BIN IT!
  • Put less glue on the splice joins.
  • Remember to wrap the tape a little tighter round the bottom of the sleeve.
  • Submerging the makes it a little quieter but still scares you when you have a load of water shoot 3ft in the air. :P
I am considering purchasing a Scuba Cylinder or something alike for pressurising rocket as used by Air Command as it seems to be the quickest and most effective method of doing so.
I am also considering importing some PL Premium to make splices, this is because of the annoying and very messy expansion of polyurethane available in this country along with the fact it must be mixed with some form of powder to be at all workable.

Anyways I hope the results have been as interesting for you guys out there as they have been for me.

Regards Doug

Tuesday, 1 March 2011

Asymmetric Splice Attempt

Hey guys, over the past few days i gave the Asymmetric splice a go, so here's how its going so far.

Step 1: 4 Clean bottles with the cap rings and bottoms removed.
Step 2: 1 Bottle shrunk and curled and both sanded with electrical tape marking added.
Step 3: Sikaflex applied and waiting to dry.
Step 4: 1 Day later and the Sikaflex is dry and the tape is removed along with the excess beading of glue.

Step 5: Marked out and sanded ready for the Titebond and Polyfiller glue mix.
Step 6: Glue applied and left to set for a Day or two.
Step 7: Glue used on the main collar has been allowed to set for a day and tape is removed. The small square to cover the slot is now applied.
The Finished Join :)
I am waiting on and order of glass strapping tape to ad the strengthening sleeves, by the time it arrives the splice will have been given time to fully cure and i shall test the splice after adding the sleeves. :)

Thanks again to George and the crew over in Sydney for the tutorial.

Regards Doug