Sunday, 31 October 2010

New Lancher Stage 2

Stage 2:
We installed and tested the plumbing/feed line and launch abort valve today. We are using the simple Gardena/Hozelock quick connectors for this and Hozelock Ultra Durable Hose.
We have fed a length of the hose though the base plate to the quick connector that holds the rocket down with another quick connector underneath the front that makes up half the non-return/launch abort valve.
Our launch abort valve is using the design made by Air Command and can be found here:
We have now also pressure tested this equipment to 150psi for a minute which we feel is satisfactory as our highest launch pressure is 110psi. We will of course upgrade or re-test our equipment should we start using higher pressures. As also seen in above picture there is a nasty bend in the line where it turns a right angle we are going to place a brass or copper 90' Elbow to ease the stress point for reasons of safety and allow better flow through the system.

Thursday, 28 October 2010

New mini compressor

We have bought a 12v 250psi rated mini compressor to save time and effort when pressurising our rockets when we are out in the field. However it has come with a cigarette socket power supply plug attached, and as we intend to run the compressor off a 12v battery, this is useless.

After researching around a little we found the end tip of the plug goes to positive and the collar to negative, so we dismantled the plug and separated the wires from it labeling the positive with red electricians tape. We later purchased a pair of 15amp crocodile clips to attach to the ends of the wires. This will allow us to connect the compressor to a 12v battery once bought.

We are aware from information gathered from other hobbyists that have used a mini compressor this method of pressurisation is only useful for smaller rockets, however for the time being is more than adequate until we can afford a more effective method of pressurisation.

New Launcher Stage 1

Stage 1:
We have purchased a 2mm thick 420mm x 400mm mild-steel sheet this is the base component of our new launcher. We have already marked out and drilled most of the holes needed to mount some of the components. The rest of the holes needed will be added after we have purchased the rest of the components needed.
The launch stanchion and temporary legs have been attached.
All parts will be dismantled after test assembly as the mild steel base is to be painted to protect it against rusting.

Wednesday, 27 October 2010

Hey guys

A hobby I've been meaning to publicise for quite some time is mine and my friends Water Rocketry! We have gained many idea's from Air Command (Thanks Guys!). However are no where near as far advance as they are yet as we have really only just started to get serious with the hobby.
We went though all the basic little designs with single bottles.
We have made a series of rockets using Robinson couplings we have called Nexus(meaning join) which consists of 5 rockets ranging from 4l capacity up to 12l none of which have flown as of yet. We have also made a remotely controlled parachute deploying system, which we adapted from Air Commands instructions on how to make a system using their flight computer (thanks again =] ).
We have started making fins out of corriflute, another idea borrowed.
We are also currently building a more substantial launcher, of which i shall start to document on here soon followed by a back log of all our previous endeavours.
This will however take some time.

Regards Doug