Saturday, 28 July 2012

Launcher Update: Release Head Attachment Piece 2

Hey Guys,

I have so far ordered myself a piece of brass for my adaptor piece described and shown in my previous post, as well as the necessary M14x1 fine thread tap and die to create the threaded section.
I have also found, thanks kindly to my friend Ian who has said i can use his workshop, a place to machine the parts in question.

I have already however made progress on the pressure delivery pipework for the launcher but can do no further work to it until the adaptor piece is made and the upright pipe soldered to it.

More to come soon.


Thursday, 14 June 2012

Launcher Update: Release Head Attachment Piece

Hey Guys,

I have been working on updating the launcher for a while now but only recently taken any action.

Couple of reasons for update:
1. A more robust air delivery system within the launcher (In this case copper pipe in place of hosepipe).
2. Interchangeable release heads for different size nozzles.
3. Launcher base needs a re-paint in places of increased wear.
4. Possible addition of a lever to make pulling the release head easier.
5. Possible addition of guide rope secure points (Rather than pegging into ground)

So first place to start, the strip down of the launcher, for now all I have taken off is the launch stanchion this is because the first problem to be solved is that of making the release heads interchangeable.

The plan is to make an adapting piece that will sit atop the stanchion and have the 15mm copper tubing soldered into the bottom, then attaching the release head will use the quick connectors own threaded locking ring.



Above pictures show the design breakdown and internal details of the piece to be made, this piece will allow us to swap between the large and small diameter nozzles very quickly with no tools required. I'm sorry if details given seem vague and do not give a great visualisation as to how exactly this piece will work but there's no easy way to explain it other than wait to see the finished piece.

This is all the updates to show for the launcher so far.

A few other bits and bobs I'm going to be getting on with in-between working on the launcher are, more parachutes (1x75cm, 2x100cm and 2x150cm), the recovery line accessories e.g. the shock cords and securing lines. Work has also begun in making a streamlined parachute pod but more on that at a later date as nothing will be able to be launched until the pads completion.

Thank you for reading 


Wednesday, 30 May 2012

Tidy up

Hey Guys,

Its been a while since I did anything let alone the data recording side of everything.

So today although I'm still away from home at the moment I thought I'd do some housekeeping on our data records and thought id share a picture or two of them.

I am aware its not the most exciting post in the world, but the plan is I'm going to continue work on updating the launcher as soon as I'm back in the UK. I have been saying this for a while with no posted evidence of it, but I assure you work has started on it, posts have just not been composed in a while but that fact will change as soon as I return.

Apologies again for the less than interesting post, i hope some could read and not be bored stiff.


Friday, 27 January 2012

Quick Post (First of 6 Parachutes)

Hey guys,

I have began to make a few of the previously mentioned Parachutes beginning with one of the 75cm diameter chutes. The chutes are made with a thin but very durable rip stop nylon cloth I bought online.

   I still have yet to start planned work to the launcher allowing it to take a release head for larger nozzles. I plan to start work on it sometime in the coming week and again will be posting the progress regularly.

Until then thank you for reading this short post, i shall be back with more  A.S.A.P.