Monday, 15 November 2010

Fracture (Our first splice)

Over the past couple of days we have had a small rest from the making of the launcher, and have focused on making a spliced pair to add to our fleet. This has given us an understanding of the manufacturing technique, and will also allow us to compare the 3.8l splice to its closest current rival Nexus I which is a 4l Robinson coupled pair, and have a full understanding of the advantages and dis-advantages between the two manufacturing methods.

We used Titebond polyurethane glue mixed with Polyfilla and Sikaflex 11FC, as is used by other hobbyists, the polyurethane glue and Polyfilla mixes can be found here (

The sleeve was made from a shrunken 3l bottle.

FRACTURE I fully assembled it stands at 102 cm.


  1. keep up the good work doug splices are looking great ive tried a few splice variations with sikaflex and titebond and have worked fine ive found if you use sikaflex to seal the bottle joint then use a small amount of titebond for the sleeve it really works well il post up some pics of my splicestommorow to show you

    Dan B

  2. Cheers Dan :) i did use the sika and it just about visible in the last picture of the full stack. In hindsight i should of used a little more and made sure it was evenly spread as there were 2 minor leaks when it had its hydro test, all seal now now:).